My prep and procedure for the PERFECT BBQ RIB!!
by Uncle Chuckie
(Grand Rapids, Mi)
I like pork ribs, old school, not the little expensive "finger food" ribs but the old fashioned longer, fattier pork ribs that come with the "cap" still attached!
There is ALOT of flavor in the fat...trim it all away and you've lost that extra flavor. But, you don't want to be chewing on it either. So about 30 years ago, I perfected a way to get both just right!!
1. Cut the whole slab of ribs into portions of about 4 or 5 bones each and place into LARGE container.
2. Dowse with 2 LARGE bottles of dark beer (make sure to have a 3rd bottle to Wet your whistle!). Include about a cup of pickle juice, lime juice, pineapple juice or cider and LOTS of garlic with maybe a couple of tablespoons of Kosher Salt...
3. Let sit in fridge for AT LEAST 4-6 HOURS! The longer the better!! Mix it up every so often!!
4. Preheat oven to about 300 degrees. Remove ribs from container, wrap loosely in foil, place on roaster or shallow pan and slow bake until 80% tender (not quite falling off the bone!).
5. Remove from foil and cover the back of rib portions with HUNGARIAN Paprika (the REAL stuff) and bake MEAT SIDE DOWN for about 15-20 minutes. Turn over and repeat the process with the HUNGARIAN PAPRIKA and bake MEAT SIDE UP for 20-30 minutes.
6. Let stand until cool, wrap in plastic and foil. Refridge or freeze until the day you are ready to eat...
7. The day of your BBQ remove the wrappings and let thaw completely. Put onto preheated BBQ until meat is Hot, a little bit crispy yet tender. Cover in favorite sauce and let the BBQ do it's stuff!
***Okay there are a few steps, but the ribs will have TONS of flavor, the fat will be gone and the process of the BBQ IS half the fun!!!